This is an incomplete list of thoughts I hold. Remember, they may not necessarily agree with your thoughts and views, and I’ve tried to separate them into appropriate topics that you can skim through.
- Just stop caring.
- Turn off the phone, change to a different channel.
My stance on this comes from another opinion of mine, that I shouldn’t care too much about things I don’t have a hand in anyway. Sure, something may suck for me but what can I do about it if it’s across the world? Local stuff is cool though, because you can actually do something about that.
At the end of the day, I just want to grill for God’s sake.
- Discord: Awful but I still use it, I actively avoid it when possible past
2022. Or sometimes just out of laziness.
- I still need to use it for some things but really, I hate the damn thing and a non-small portion of the people behind the service and some of those who use it.
- Too bad Matrix is not quite there (but still cool), and IRC too old-school for some people. I will continue to be available on all three for now.
- I wish they didn’t ban third party clients because their official client is
But everything’s legal until you get caught ;-)too bad i did, hopefully not again.
- Their interface is horrendous. It is designed like a toy for little kids with all of these huge buttons that you just can’t miss, along with upselling Nitro at every opprotunity. They’ve gone and broken my CSS every time I came back.
- Luckily, I do most of everything from IRC now on a different account via Bitlbee.
- DRM: Imagine buying something but not owning it. You don’t have full rights. You own a license to use the content, but you don’t own it. This is awful.
- Google: A company who threw out their “Don’t be evil” motto so they could be evil. I could probably fill this entire point with links about Google doing evil things and still have plenty of links to go around.
- IRC: super cool. I’ve pretty much gone to living on there, I also need to work up the courage to join some channels. I’m putting it off until I’m done my IRC bouncer project.
- NFTs: stupid and a waste of money. My buddy says “money laundering”.
- Smartphones: They’re okay if you use them like a dumbphone but with a couple of extra capabilities. They aren’t gaming consoles, banking machines, social media zombie machines, no, just do what I do and just use them to call/text people, listen to music, and a couple other things. Of course, you can keep these apps installed if you need to use them but really I try to keep use of said apps to a minimum with some exceptions.
- GB -> Gigabyte. Gb -> Gigabit. gb -> lazy but probably gigabyte.
- Plan 9: cool, too bad the Raspberry Pi port doesn’t have audio.
- Linux sucks but its the only alternative with good hardware support. BSD has bad wireless support, Plan 9 has bad everything support but has the most elegant userspace.
- runit > s6 > OpenRC > everything else. But NixOS makes me like systemd.
- musl > glibc, however glibc > musl in practicality.
- Alpine is cool but I don’t like OpenRC. So I use runit as PID 1 on my desktop Alpine machine. OpenRC is not installed. abuild also kinda sucks.
- Void is my favorite distribution but falls short in a few places, however all of these places have to do with my personal opinions.
- KISS is cool but the maintainer tends to disappear for some time. The POSIX sh based package manager is really cool but I don’t think that the entire package manager should be built in POSIX sh.
- NixOS is super cool, but also uses several things I hate.
- I have a love/hate relationship with containers. They’re super useful yet
Docker is such a pain in the ass sometimes.
- I’ve actually gone back and forth about using containers several times now. I’m just happy the tooling is slowly improving now.
- Cryptocurrencies are cool in concept and nothing more. They do more harm than good, but nonetheless I still have a seldom used wallet of my own.
- The only reason why people need beefy computers to do even menial tasks now is because of the sheer amount of unnecessary complexity in software produced today. I can do 100% of what I do on my Ryzen laptop on a dual-core Celeron with 4GB of RAM at nearly the same speed. Same workflow, same configuration, no adaptations.
- The mobile phone ecosystems are awful on both ends of the spectrum. Why is there so much shovelware? Why does it get produced at such an insane rate?
- The modern Internet is truly awful. The only solution to fixing the Internet
involves a jerry can, a lighter, and popcorn.
- I’ve unironically thought of just segregating myself to my own intranet several times, or to limit myself to whatever’s on Tor or Yggdrasil or whatever; there’s nearly nothing available for me on the public Internet anymore.
- Streaming services: At the end of the day, it costs the same as cable and still has ads. What the hell is the point? It’s literally Cable TV 2.0.
- Federation solves a lot of problems, but creates many problems.
- ActivityPub could be a lot better.
- Not everyone has the spare resources to run their own instance. I still do anyway with Tor.
- All browsers suck. NetSurf is a graphical browser that doesn’t suck as much.
The web browsers that suck the least are those of the text-mode family.
There’s a reason why this site is designed how it is; designed to look nice on
graphical browsers while remaining 100% functional on text-mode browsers.
- I’ve actually come to the point where I do a good portion of my web browsing through a text mode web browser.
- I’ve considered setting up a Gopher hole or a Gemini capsule, but haven’t yet. I also need to invest in a VPS and a domain to do that.
- The dead Internet theory is real, I believe it. Call me insane if you wish.
- Tabs > spaces. I’d rather use one character and set the width of it to whatever I feel like than be forced to use an arbitrary amount of spaces. Then again, I don’t always follow this rule. This document was written in Markdown and exclusively uses spaces for indentation as far as I know.
- Another rule I like but don’t always follow is that braces go under function declarations. I don’t follow it out of laziness most times. This is impossible in languages where braces don’t exist or in Golang, which I use quite a bit.
- Try to keep things simple even if it will make things slower. Provide the simple implementation as an alternative to the complex implementation.
- UNIX philosophy of “write programs to do one task and well” is cool. However, I find I don’t have many opportunities to follow it, or following it would lead to huge inefficiencies.
- Write applications and services that rely heavily on the Internet to work on even the slowest of the connections. Don’t assume a symmetrical 10gbit fiber link with <10ms latency, assume 1mbit download and 0.2mbit up with 200ms latency.
- Same can be applied for applications themselves. Write for a Pentium and 1GB
of RAM, not for an overclocked 64 core 6GHz beast with a terabyte of memory.
- Real world example: Word 2016 takes 15 seconds to start yet Word 95 is opened before I let go of the mouse.
sucks but at least it doesn’t execute untrusted code by default.
- Electron is garbage and you can’t convince me otherwise.
- POSIX sh is good for one-off scripts but really sucks at just about every other task, with few exceptions. However, implementing programs in it serves as a nice challenge.
- Lisp is cool but I can’t bring myself to learn it.
- Hare is a cool programming language and doesn’t
deserve a lot of the hate it gets. It’s young! Give it some time.
- I look forward to when it matures, because I will consider writing future projects in it.
- Major blockers right now is lack of 32-bit ARM support, which is bad when all of your servers are all 32-bit ARM.
- TLS support would also be extremely nice but I still have things I can do without TLS.
- GitHub’s “stale” bot is harmful.
- Plunderphonics is still creative when done well. Many vaporwave albums prove my point.
- Speaking of which, please don’t just minimally rearrange samples, add effects, and upload to Bandcamp/YouTube. Chop and screw, play with effects, use a slicer. Be creative.
- Long songs are cool but don’t make songs long for the sole purpose of being a long song.
- I miss Daft Punk and badly.
- Discovery > Homework = Alive concerts > RAM > Human After All
- Albums I like
- Sidechaining can make a song much more fun, and is often essential when sampling, however can make the result sound horrendous if done poorly. Novice future funk producers are in my view, notoriously bad for this. Every time I come across a song from someone I don’t know, somehow they’ve always managed to make it sound awful by sidechaining the entire song out on every beat for their kick.
- Everyone worries about the wrong things.
- Every company says they worry about the right things but actually don’t.
- Nobody actually does anything about the things that do matter.
- Social media is a cancer of today’s society, so bad that I can’t even come up
with a point that makes it seem all that good.
Yes, you can talk to people across the globe, but so can thousands of other
- I’m bending the definition, but it excludes protocols, not platforms. IRC/XMPP/Matrix are protocols, Discord/Facebook/YouTube are platforms.
- The bad stuff only really stems from people’s unhealthy attraction to numbers. I don’t care who reads this page, I haven’t even looked at the hit number since this site’s inception. Nobody could be reading this but I’m happy what I’m doing because I don’t care about those meaningless numbers. I’d rather waste my time doing things I like than to become a zombie for the algorithm.
- The commercialization also ruins the fun of social media. Nothing is real, and the line between content and advertisements is thinning by the day. There are few real humans on social media anymore, everything else is just machines and NPCs.
- 4AM is less of an ungodly hour than 7AM. Thanks, school.
- Japan is cool. Japanese, the language, is cool. I hope to speak it well one day.
- Anime is fine in moderation.
- The zoomer English slang is awful and I don’t understand almost all of it. What I do know, I did not want to learn. What is this “drip”, and why is it bussin fr fr ongod? Why does this strange dialect make me want to commit violent acts against those who speak or type like this? It’s even worse when adults use it.
- Most modern games suck.