Hi, I go by WeedSmokingJew online. In the summer, I fish lobster and crab. I also play games and program on my time off.
I run Linux full-time on most of my computers and try to be privacy-centric when possible.
Where do you live?Somewhere near here. Nova Scotia, Canada.
What languages do you know?
I have a goodish grasp on:
- This is largely my language of choice.
- Sometimes I wish I never learnt it, sometimes I'm glad I did.
- POSIX sh
Fun fact: I wrote three package managers using exclusively POSIX utils and sh.
Source for my latest one is available here.
Source for others were lost to time but some of their ideas live on in
- Fun fact: I wrote three package managers using exclusively POSIX utils and sh. Source for my latest one is available here. Source for others were lost to time but some of their ideas live on in
I know a thing or two about:
- Lua (mostly in version 5.1)
- I would like to thank a Minecraft mod for this. I have spent too much time playing with ComputerCraft (HTTP), a mod which allows you to do computing inside of Minecraft and you can program with Lua 5.1.
- That isn't to say that I don't remember a thing or two. I can navigate the language if I got a reference or a search engine readily available.
- I'm by no means a huge fan of it, but sometimes it is very useful.
- Especially when you want something that comes (largely) preconfigured, it's nice to
docker run --rm -it debian:10-slimwhen you need a Debian system.
I have largely forgotten:
- Java (first language)
- C# (don't use Windows anymore)
I am learning:
Have you worked on anything of note?
No. Not yet, anyway. I am currently writing an IRC client in Go, which may be released to the public at some point in the future.
However, I do manage a Discord server for beginner programmers.
This came to life some point on December 11th, 2020 and was made public shortly after on /g/'s /bpg/ thread which was the entire reason for the server existing in the first place.
It also exists on Matrix (enable spaces) and IRC (
/list #/g/bpg* on Rizon).
What are your thoughts on X, Y, and Z?
They don't really matter to you, but they're here if you really care (you don't)
Is it okay to contact you?
If you want to, go for it. Use PGP if you use email, use Matrix for instant messaging but if isn't an option for you Discord is there for a reason, and I have ZNC logged into WSJ on Rizon so there's always that too.